Saturday, January 9, 2010

Review of the Feidaxin FDC-460A ham radio

I heard some decent reviews about the Feidaxin brand of ham radios. These have been what we call 'Rice Box' Radios. They hail from parts of Asia and with that come at a very cheap price. On average a single band radio will sport about $60 USD or so. Being that they are damn cheap makes them appealing, but are you getting what you pay for?



From my experience with my FDC-460A its not completely horrible. For $60 I cant complain much.

The good:
Inexpensive.
Works great as a spare radio
Just fine for a simple radio that does repeater, CTCSS, and DCS.
Unlocked in the entire 400-460MHz band, use as FRS/GMRS (or other) Radio.
Decent solid design, I wouldnt beat it up but its not a bad radio.
Ni-MH Cells, easy to upgrade or replace if you are handy with a soldering iron.
Full 5 Watt on all frequencies. Or 1 watt in low power.
Option for programming cable for the PC and software to program the memory channels.
99 memory banks.
Can be put in "Stupid User Mode" which allows the user to cycle through the programmed. channels, like a regular 2-way radio.

The Bad:
No Alpha tags, you have to memorize your frequency list, unless you put it in "Dumb mode"
Scan speed is slow, even for an HT.
Digital Squelch.
The charge dock mashes in the bottom row of buttons on the radio, its hard to dock.
Battery charge time isnt the best.
They have a male SMA connector on the radio, which is weird.
User manual is in horrible engrish, but with some common sense its not hard to figure out.
Programming software is usable but in engrish.
Some people report having defects.
Doesnt operate the best in extreme cold, so dont keep it in the car during winter.
Programming the radio by hand is a pain in the ass, but isnt that said for all HTs?
When using a headset you cant use the PTT button on the radio, you must use the PTT on the headset... thats just weird too.
No VOX Support (I dont like VOX anyways).

General
I use mine on both ham radio bands, local security (in hindsight I should have gotten the 410-470Mhz model), FRS/GMRS, and anything else in between. The squelch control is menu driven, you may not like it. I dont mind so much but being I have been an HT and Scanner user for many years I am very accustomed to manually adjusting my squelch while in the field. The 1W / 5W power selection does seem like a small drawback especially for battery consumption, but this is common on even expensive radios. I like having a Low-Medium-High setting. The fact that it can do full 5W (closer to 4W on the upper band) is nice though. I can pop on the FRS/GMRS bands at 5 Watt. Yes, I know it is not legal to operate over 0.5W on FRS Bands. Blow me, I dont give a rats ass. When an emergency arises I can hand out a small fleet of FRS radios and use this FDC-460 as a repeater node (with some additional hardware). I have seen report of some people making low-cost, low-power mobile/portable repeaters out of these lil' buggers. This is also great for an inexpensive APRS Radio

If you just need a spare radio to hand to the kids, wife, or friend to keep in contact via simplex, or have a friend that wants to get into the hobby and you dont mind being control operator for them, this isnt a bad choice. I keep this as a backup and when I am out hand it to my lil' lady Bunnie, or even my other friends when we want to go shopping and I want to fuck off. I see crappy FRS/GMRS radios that cost just as much and dont offer the features this thing has.

It also has full PL tone (CTCSS) and DCS Support which is also used on many security fleet radios, FRS/GMRS, and Ham Radio Repeaters. Unfortunately the lack of Alpha Tags you need to memorize what all your frequencies belong to. There is a mode you can boot the radio in by holding the [F] key and turning on the radio which puts it into what I call "Dumb mode". It will list each programmed frequency as a number in a list, rather the frequency. It also locks out the ability to manually tune in a frequency, play with the offset, PL/DCS, and other settings. This way you can set it up, hand it to an inexperienced user and just tell them "Tune to channel 4" or whatever...

I would definitely recommend getting the programming cable. Programming any HT for me is a major time consuming pain in the ass. Unfortunately the software is in Engrish as well. For me it wasnt hard to get working at all, but I am an experienced hacker and technophile. I have noticed that most Hams have as much computer skill as a 4 year old child on drugs, or worse. Just make sure you get the right programming cable, if you are using XP, go for the USB one. Dont even ask for OSX or Linux support! I wouldnt consider this a major purchase factor though.

Some minor quirks
For some odd reason they put a male SMA connector on the radio. Typically you see the male connectors on the Rubber Duck Antenna or Coax. A female SMA coupler fixes this though.


(Yes, it came with a very nice antenna)

Another small quirk I noticed is that if you use a headset you cant use the PTT on the radio. It will transmit but no audio will travel from the HT. You must use the PTT on the headset. There is no VOX control, which I dont use anyway. I find that loud cars, alarms, and background noise tend to false-trigger most VOX controls since I am not a typical fat, lazy ham that hasnt seen his penis in years. I use my radio out in the field and I am very active in general, and this radio has done a pretty good job so far. For $60 shipped... I cant bitch.

16 comments:

wloczykij said...

thanks for a good review:))) that helped me a lot and is one of best descriptions I have found. One question... why do all buy feidaxin fdc-460A?? there are few more models in more or less same price. I just today found this model feidaxin fd-390 uhf... what do you think? I am new in that staff, but that model seems to have a better distance

Unknown said...

I bought the FDC-160A, 136-174Mhz version and I gotta say was worth every bit of $60 shipped.

oMy only complaint other than what you already said are no DTMF and the rubber duck it comes with is garbage.


Due to financial reasons I used it with the stock antenna for 2 months, then I found an SMA-F to BNC-F adapter for under $5, and took an antenna off a junk VHF Marine band handheld, and yes rubber duck antennas are typically widebanded, and also the next best thing to a dummy load. With the new antenna, it was like night and day, I could now hit several repeaters that I could barely RX before.

Unknown said...

If you ever get bored with hacking consoles and webtv, uh, maybe you could hack this radio and figure out how to speed up the scanning of channels, anyone who actually had to use this radio for professional purposes could not use more than maybe 10 channels because it takes like, a minute and 30 seconds to scan all 99 channels. but who the hell uses more than just a few channels for professional use.

btw, got the adapter from fry's electronics in atlanta

wloczykij said...

Hey, do you have any information about FD-390? I can't find any review on it.

Frequent C said...

I have the FDC-390 VHF model. The scan kills me. Very slow. The other problem is while scanning, it will act as though there is a priority channel set. In other words, after hearing about 6 seconds of transmission on a channel while in scan mode, the radio will automatically continue to scan and stop on another channel if there is activity. This makes no sense. For this reason, I don't use the scan function. I don't know if it can be changed using a program cable and software but there is no way to change the settings using the keypad.
The FD-390 utilizes the alpha tags however you must do this with software and cable.

wloczykij said...

Nice to hear someone uses FD-390. I don't use scan function, but it is the same in Weierwei 3288s VHF. I compared a talk-distance of Weierwei-to-Weierwei(VHF) and FD-390-to-Midland GXT800(with longer antenna)where Midland was a receiver.FD-390 won over Weierwei.It was heard from longer distance.I left two radios (one Weierwei and Midland) by a window and a digital recorder. After comming back home I checked the recorded sounds, and that is how I checked the distanse.
I think FD-390 ia a solid radio, maybe not sophisticated, but I has a good receiver, and transmitter.

Frequent C said...

I just received this radio last Thursday. I have it mastered. As I mentioned the scan function is terrible. One can only scan "all or none". If you program 20 channels, you must scan 20 channels. There is no way to use a selective scan. I purchased this radio for use as a public servicer receiver. Basically a "scanner". It receives well with a real loud audo from the speaker. I have been trying to locate software and cable for this particular radio but have had no luck.

wloczykij said...

The software is here http://www.feidaxin.com/en/Download.asp

It wasn't on the cd I received from hk360radio (409store).
I have the pc cable from hk360radio on ebay (it came with the radio).
Yes, receiving is really good. I have a telescopic antenna for 460Mhz.

Frequent C said...

I got my radio from hk360radio too. Didn't come with a cable. I did download that software earlier but I thought it was just an update for the radio software, I didn't know it was programming software. Thanks. Now I need to get a cable. I just want to be able to use the alpha display.

wloczykij said...

I bought a set of feidaxin with cable. It was a few $ more expensive. Frequent C I am not sure what this software is...I just received this link from hk360 when I contacted them about lock of software for fd-390 on cd. You know, I am not too good in it. Check it, maybe it works for you. The cable must be the sam for all feidaxins... right? I also have weierwei and the headset from feidaxin works on weierwei... I have only once used the pc cable. I can use it only on stationary pc, because my laptop doesn't have this com ports...:/ And my pc isn't in good condition so there were some problems with connecting fd to pc.
I would also need to name my stations, so soon I will have to use my pc:/

Frequent C said...

wloczykij, you can purchase a "serial to usb" adapter from a computer store. This will allow you to use your program cable on your laptop or any other computer with a usb port. I installed the software by the way. It's looks very simple to use. Because I do not have a program cable, I can't try it but I was able to type in all the fields and save the file to be written to the radio at a later date.

wloczykij said...

Frequent C how is your feidaxin fd-390? Have you discovered any new functions or have you checked how it transmits?

Frequent C said...

Hey wloczykij,
I purchase a program cable so that I could use the Alpha display. Unfortuneately the software has some issues. It will only program the frequencies and ctcss codes. Won't program the alpha or other functions. I emailed the Feidaxin company twice and have not received a response. I don't use the radio to transmit. I use it only as a receiver.

wloczykij said...

I have the same problem:( I tried to name some programs in my fd-390 but it can't be done. I can only program frequencies but can not put name for it. It says there is some error, please reset and try again.

coastlife14 said...

I bought a Feidaxin FD-160 which was from asiaradiosales.com and used it for two years without any problem. I then bought an A1 from them and this really surprised me because i have a few chinese produts and this is actually the best of all. Quality wise the radio produces very good voice and the distance on the radio is just perfect. 73s

Bartesam said...

Hi! Anyone who has a solution for thr problems of programing the Alpha (name) on channels using cable for Fd-390